Thursday, June 15, 2017

40 years of watching 'Star Wars'

Last night I watched Rogue One, the latest installment of the Star Wars franchise, with my dad.

It occurred to me as we were watching the movie that much had changed since the last time the two of us watched a Star Wars film together. 

In the summer of 1977, I was nine years old and my dad was 31. He took me to the local cinema to see Star Wars, which was a really big deal that summer. 

I'm now coming up on my 49th birthday. My dad is 71.

What about the movie? When the film came out a few months back, I understood that it was embroiled in various political controversies. (Isn't everything, nowadays?) 

If you'd care to wade into that, you can Google "rogue one politics". I'd rather not. I was more concerned with simply watching the movie. 

Rogue One was a fun film, and--in my estimation, at least--probably the best one to come out since the original three: Star Wars (1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1980), and Return of the Jedi (1983). 

And yes--in case you're wondering--I refuse to refer to the original Star Wars as "A New Hope". The movie that was released in 1977 was called Star Wars. It doesn't need a new name.





No comments:

Post a Comment